Endangered Species Day is this Friday, May 15. Sub-Saharan Africa is home to many endangered species that are beloved the world over. It is a privilege to be able to introduce people to this amazing creatures through Ujuzi Travel. I hope these safari photos of endangered animals inspire you to protect them for future generations!
(A list of organization dedicated to protecting vulnerable animals is included below.)
You can find a full list of African endangered species on EarthsEndangered.com.
There are many organizations that work to protect endangered species. Please visit their sites and consider supporting them or another conservation non-profit of your choice:
- Rainforest Alliance
- Endangered Species Alliance
- The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust – Focuses on conservation of elephants and rhinos in Kenya
- AfriCat Foundation – Large and small wild cat conservation organization based in Namibia
- Cheetah Conservation Fund
- The Giraffe Center and African Fund for Endangered Wildlife – Kenyan association dedicated to protecting the endangered Rothschild giraffe and other threatened species.
- The International Crane Foundation – Supports grey crowned crane conservation in Rwanda and other African countries..
- Gorilla Doctors – Works to protect the health and lives of mountain gorillas and eastern lowland gorillas by providing veterinary care to the populations in Uganda, Rwanda, and Democratic Republic of Congo