Kenya and Uganda have both made changes related to visitor visas. Kenya has introduced an electronic visa application, and Uganda has changed the fee for its 90-day visitor’s visa to $100.
The East African Tourist Visa — covering Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda — has not been effected by these changes. It is still available for $100 upon arrival in Uganda or Kenya.
* * *
A 90-day, single-entry visa to Uganda is now $100. It can be purchased on arrival. For more information, visit Uganda’s visa webpage.
* * *
(This section was updated on 9/1/2015 with new information.)
The government of Kenya has introduced an advance electronic visa application for all travelers visiting the country. Currently, travelers can use either the e-visa or apply for a visa upon arrival. Starting September 1, 2015, travelers who arrive in Kenya must show a printed copy of their e-visa to gain entry into the country. You should also be prepared to show the visa before boarding your plane to Kenya.
The visa is valid for 90 days after it is issued. So do not apply for your visa if there are more than 90 days between now and the final day of your scheduled trip. The automated application system will automatically reject any visa applications whose date of arrival is outside the validity period.
Processing for an e-visa application can take up to 7 days, so make sure to apply at least a week in advance. (Update: In reality, most applications take less than 24 hours to process as Kenya works toward real-time visa approval. Until this is standard, however, Ujuzi continues to advise clients to apply at least a week in advance.)
To apply for the visa:
- Visit the electronic visa page at evisa.go.ke.
- Select “Create an account”
- As part of this process, you will receive a confirmation email that you need to click on to verify your registration.
- At this point, you will be asked to UPLOAD A DIGITAL PASSPORT PHOTO (Maximum size 500 x 500 pixels)
- Once logged in, select “Department of Immigration Services”
- Select “Submit Application”
- Select “Kenyan Visa”
- Select the type of visa (visitor) and read the instructions carefully
- Complete the application form. Please note that incomplete applications will be rejected, and you will lose your processing fees.
- You will need a scan of the main page of your passport (with your name, date of birth and other information).
- You will need to re-upload your passport photo.
- Pay using your Visa card, MasterCard or other debit card.
- Await your approval which will be sent to you by email. This could take up to 7 days.
- Once you have received the email advising that your visa is approved, log back into your ecitizen account and download your visa.
- Print a copy of your visa to present to the immigration officer at your point of entry into Kenya.